-----

Refinishing my heavily etched brass table top

I have a circular table top that's basically a tray on legs. The table top (about 2 1/2 feet in diameter) has very finely etched patterns on brass all over the surface, and has a rim that's fluted, like a pie crust(?). It's very tarnished - well beyond the attractive patina stage, and there are also several dull green spots. How do I go about getting rid of the dark tarnish so the etched designs show up better? I'm concerned that any solution (commercial or home made) that require polishing to remove the tarnish might damage the patterns too.

I'd be grateful for any help! Thanks, in advance.

Priya Fulgens
Hobbyist - Chicago, Illinois

Hi, Priya. One approach would be to clean it with a cleaner made for strong stains like perhaps Revere Copper and Stainless Cleaner, then darken the whole thing or the general fluted area with Brass Darkening Solution, then mechanically buff away the blackening from the high spots. This is not actually oil rubbed bronze, but that's the effect I'm speaking of: dark recesses and "worn" shiny high spots.