-----

Changing household appliances from black to white

I want to paint washer and dryer from black to white. I know that there are many appliance paints on the market but will any of them paint such an extreme difference and still look good. I don't want them to look grey.

Lori Picone
Homeowner - New Orleans, Louisiana

Hi, Lori, that won't be an issue. You probably want two coats, but the paint will be opaque, not translucent.

First of two simultaneous responses -- December 12, 2008

Some appliances are porcelain coated rather than paint. There is no paint which will adhere to porcelain. Rub a non-critical area with a bit of sandpaper. If you can easily scratch the surface it is paint, and you can paint over it. If very resistant to scratching, it is porcelain and you will have to live with the existing color.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
Spartanburg, South Carolina

Second of two simultaneous responses -- December 14, 2008

So, what kind of paint should I use? I'm not certain what you mean by "opaque and not transparent."

Lori Picone
- New Orleans, Louisiana

Hello again. You've already said there are many brands of appliance paint, Lori, and I don't think it makes sense to have a Coke vs. Pepsi, Miller vs. Budweiser, Chevy vs. Ford type of discussion. Pick any of them. It will not come out gray, it will come out white because appliance paints coat the item with pigments which light cannot pass through; these kinds of paint are not translucent like green glass or amber glass. Good luck.