plating, anodizing, & finishing Q&As since 1989
How to rid house of toxic Rustoleum paint used in shower stall
My shower stall and wall were rolled with almond Rustoleum paint/2 coats, a week ago, and the house is still overwhelmed with a very toxic smell. I am keeping windows open slightly and fans going. I am getting concerned, as the weather is cooling a lot and I fear the fumes will hurt myself and dog. How long does it take for the house to clear of these toxic fumes? Thank you.Holly Hamilton
- Sacramento,CA USA
December 4, 2008
Hi, Holly. As a former New Jersey governor once said: "Toxic is a matter of statute, not opinion". So your inquiry is clearer if we call the fumes disagreeable or unpleasant or annoying, rather than using a term that has been co-opted by the regulatory community and means exactly what they want it to mean, no more and no less :-)
Unfortunately "Almond" is only a color and "Rustoleum" is only a brand name applied to many different types of paint, so we really don't know what you have. Sprayed or brushed, latex or oil based, etc. Assuming this is a one-part paint rather than a two-part epoxy (and it sounds like it is), and assuming it's oil based paint, it's a matter of waiting for the solvent to evaporate. Now if you "thinned" it with anything, that might change the situation, but otherwise I think you're about at the end of the ordeal. This opinion is based solely on my personal experience with handyman painting around my own house. Good luck.
Ted Mooney, P.E.
Striving to live Aloha
finishing.com - Pine Beach, New Jersey
December 4, 2008
Q, A, or Comment on THIS thread -or- Start a NEW Thread