-----

How to rid house of toxic Rustoleum paint used in shower stall

My shower stall and wall were rolled with almond Rustoleum paint/2 coats, a week ago, and the house is still overwhelmed with a very toxic smell. I am keeping windows open slightly and fans going. I am getting concerned, as the weather is cooling a lot and I fear the fumes will hurt myself and dog. How long does it take for the house to clear of these toxic fumes? Thank you.

Holly Hamilton
- Sacramento,CA USA

Hi, Holly. As a former New Jersey governor once said: "Toxic is a matter of statute, not opinion". So your inquiry is clearer if we call the fumes disagreeable or unpleasant or annoying, rather than using a term that has been co-opted by the regulatory community and means exactly what they want it to mean, no more and no less :-)

Unfortunately "Almond" is only a color and "Rustoleum" is only a brand name applied to many different types of paint, so we really don't know what you have. Sprayed or brushed, latex or oil based, etc. Assuming this is a one-part paint rather than a two-part epoxy (and it sounds like it is), and assuming it's oil based paint, it's a matter of waiting for the solvent to evaporate. Now if you "thinned" it with anything, that might change the situation, but otherwise I think you're about at the end of the ordeal. This opinion is based solely on my personal experience with handyman painting around my own house. Good luck.