-----

How to chemically determine Na + and K+ in salts?

Hi Everybody,

1. I have a problem in How I can indicate sodium and potassium elements in salts by chemical analysis rather than flame test.

Marwa Nour Eldin
plating shop employee - Cairo, Egypt.

That's a tough problem.

Both can be determined by turbidimetric methods - K by precipitation with tetraphenyl borate ion; Na by precipitation with either pyroantimonate ion, or with various double salts Na forms with uranium. If you are interested, I'll dig out more information for you. Be advised that you are in for tons of work, and results that will not be terribly precise. I once ran Na with a wet method, and it cost me hours of work.

It is not impossible but if there's any way at all you can get someone with an AA or ICP to run the samples for you you'll save yourself many hours of grief.