-----

Hydrogen embrittlement in quenched steel

Dear Srs,
I am student of Material Engineering, and I have to do a work related to hydrogen embrittlement. I am very interesting in the issue of quench cracking in steel as consequence of hydrogen embrittlement.
Can somebody guide me on this subject.
Best regards

Diego Del
engineering student - Buenos Aires, Argentina

It absolutely is not hydrogen embrittlement!
Cracking is do to an improper quench or an improper design of the part (IE: you must have a generous radius on inside corners). I had one of 8 pins crack because I put it into the quench oil level vs a quick drop vertically. Huge crack. It appears to have something to do with the asymmetrical phase structure change causing huge internal stresses.

I agree with Jim. If you already brought the part up to a quenching temperature, long ago the hydrogen must have escaped. So, most surely the cracks are due to a temperature gradient (an exterior surface that is shrinking because it is being cooled while the core is still hot). The thicker the object, the higher the risk.