-----

Copper Plated Motorcycle Tank

Greetings,

I would like to copper plate a motorcycle gas tank and then age/patina the finish. I would prefer this method to a faux painted finish. Can the plating be done and the finish chemically treated to produce a patina?

My best,
Ken

Ken Bruno
consumer - Brighton, Massachusetts

Hi, Ken. Yes.

Once I have the patina to my liking, can the finish be clear coated to preserve the finish without destroying the patina? (I would use a clear urethane). Will this also arrest any further corrosion?
I appreciate your reply.
My best,
Ken

Ken Bruno
- Brighton, Massachusetts

Hi yes you can have your tank copper plated -

I chrome plated 1 a few weeks ago - (copper , nickel and chrome )

I just wanted to let you know how tricky they are to do !

It had to be filled with water and sealed to stop it from floating and also touching the anodes. Also helps with drainage as the plating solutions cannot get inside.

1 side effect was that it was very heavy!

(I must add that we plate for aerospace, the tank I plated was a private job, so automotive specialist would probably have custom made jigs to make the job much easier)

!

The end result was great! Although it took ages draining and drying the inside.

Good luck to the plater you use ;-)

Hope this helps.

Jay Smith
- Essex, UK

Hello Jay...
Thank you for the reply. I did find a local plating company that does automotive/motorcycle part plating and plating a gas tank, copper or otherwise, is no real challenge as they have done them before.

My real concern is, once I chemically patinate the copper, will the corrosion continue and eventually destroy the gas tank?
My best,

Ken Bruno
- Boston, Massachusetts

Hi, Ken. It can be lacquered or clear coated and should be fine, although periodic re-lacquering may be required at a frequency determined by how much time the bike spends outside in rough weather.