-----

Need Sulphuric Acid

An ongoing discussion beginning back in 2008 ...

"Sulfuric Acid Use and Handling"

Affil. Link
Your purchases make finishing.com possible

Q. Where would one go about finding approx. 5-gal containers of sulphuric acid? Everywhere I call people seem to think I'm crazy for wanting that much. Local parts stores here have 6 qt containers for ~$12. I would rather try and find a local shop nearby where I can pick it up rather than trying to have it shipped to my work. Any ideas?

Michael Spillers
- Buford, Georgia

A. Hi, Michael. Sulphuric acid is readily available in 12 gallon carboys and 55 gallon drums (I'm not sure about 5 gallon containers). Plating, anodizing, and metal finishing shops use large quantities of this, so look up 'chemicals' or 'plating distributors' in the yellow pages of a nearby large city if you can't easily find it online.

However, I suspect that part of the problem may be in your wanting to pick it up rather than having it shipped. This is a hazardous material with D.O.T. shipping restrictions. While there my be an exemption for small quantities of dilute acid for sale to consumers as battery acid, the suppliers may be prohibited, either by law or a good stewardship pledge, from allowing you to drive off with a larger container or a less dilute solution. Good luck.

Student needs Sulfuric Acid

Q. WHERE CAN I FIND SULFURIC ACID IN SAN DIEGO CALIFORNIA? I'M IN 6TH GRADE.

ALBERTO J. [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES

A. Hi, Alberto. The only place a 6th grader should get sulfuric acid is from his science teacher and under his/her direct supervision :-)

Q. My science teacher doesn't have any; my email is [deleted by editor]

alberto j [returning]
- san diego, California, usa

Sulfuric Acid for Drain Clogs

Affil. Link

A. Hi, Alberto. Sulfuric acid is easily available.

But the point is that it is extremely hazardous for any adults who have not been trained in its use. It's out of the question for 6th graders except under the direct supervision of their science teacher. 6th graders probably shouldn't post their e-mail address on the internet either :-)

Please explain what it is that you want it for; maybe we can then suggest a safer way to do your experiment? Good luck.

Q. For a science project on chemical reactions. I really need this for an A+.

alberto j [returning]
- san diego, California, usa

A. Hi again. Even a graduate chemist would want goggles [←affil. link] and rubber gloves [←affil. link], and maybe a chemical apron or other personal protection equipment before using this ... hopefully you are all set in that area. If you are going to do this repeated warnings, have your parents get battery acid from a local auto parts store and supervise you; this diluted sulphuric acid is at least somewhat less dangerous than concentrated acid.

A. If my 6th grade child was using Sulfuric Acid (even battery acid) for a school project, I'd be having a word with the teacher, if it was indeed required for a school project.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a bit much for a child to be handling this young of an age?

Times sure have changed.

anodizer - Boise, Idaho

A. Hi, Mark. If Alberto is a real 6th grader, I'm almost sure that there is no teacher in the country who would suggest that he buy sulphuric acid for an experiment.