-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

Setting Up a Small Nickel Plating Operation

I work for a company that has a small metallography lab. We are gearing up for an evaluation of Plat-Aluminide coatings. Part of the requirement for the preparation process is a nickel plating that will help ensure the integrity of coating during the evaluation process. I am trying to set up a very small plating operation that will be used solely for this evaluation. The amount of plating that will be done is a very small amount and the samples that will be plated will roughly 1" X 1". I have a recipe for the solution including Boric Acid, Nickel Chloride, Nickel Sulfamate and a Wetting Agent. There is no call out explaining the wetting agent so I am having a hard time locating exactly what I need. Plus I am having a time locating a supplier in the Oklahoma City area. I would like to speak to someone who can give me some helpful advice on this project to help me better prepared.

Trey Clark
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, U.S.

You'll typically evolve hydrogen at the workpiece's high current density areas when plating Ni; the wetter prevents the hydrogen bubbles from adhering to the work surface and causing a pit. I do not know the Oklahoma city area, so I can't help you there.

James Totter
James Totter, CEF
- Tallahassee, Florida

simultaneous (2000)

Definitely go with a supplier. There are several good companies for nickel plating chemistries and they should be able to answer all your questions and set you up. Try A Brite as they are out of Dallas. You may also look up McGean-Rohco, Atotech, etc... Good luck.

Megan Pellenz
- Syracuse, New York

For this tiny amount,I would contact a couple of the brush plating companies that advertise at this site and buy a gal of sulfamate nickel solution. You could ask them to sell you a 1 oz bottle or so of the antipit. The vendors that I am aware of, do not sell in this tiny a quantity. Set this up in a conventional tank setup. Use SD nickel if you can get a tiny amount. If all else fails, use a chunk of 400 nickel rod. Do not forget that the cleaning and activation steps are as important as the plating steps.

About your wetting agent---, This may sound silly, but, why don't just you ask some of these suppliers to send you a SAMPLE of their product and perhaps get an ounce or two?

Norman V. Engelhardt
- Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

©1995-2018, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ   -   About   -  Privacy Policy