-----

White patina on brass/copper

2000

Q. Dear sirs, Did anybody try to make white patina on brass? I heard there are some advice in books of Ron Young, but, unfortunately, I cannot find these books. Maybe, somebody has some experience in this area --I mean your experience in white patina on brass, not books of Young :-)

Thanks beforehand, Sincerely,

ALEX WOLF
- MOSCOW, RUSSIA

Ed. note: Ron Young's "Contemporary Patination" might not currently be available new, but copies are available used: "Contemporary Patination" [affil. link to book on Amazon]

2000

Q. AS I UNDERSTOOD, NOBODY IS EXPERIENCED IN WHITE PATINA HERE. MAYBE, ANYBODY MEET YELLOW PATINA ON BRASS/COPPER? SINCERELY, ALEX

ALEXANDER VOLKOV [returning]
- MOSCOW, RUSSIA

2000

A. Alex - In order to apply a white patina to brass, you would have to find a salt of copper that is white. The typical patina is copper carbonate which is a pale greenish salt, and used because it is not too soluble. Copper sulfate, copper chloride, copper nitrate [affil link], are all in the green color family and not what you are looking for. My suggestion therefore, may be to find a paint system to coat the brass and then relieve it if that is your final finish.

ed budman eb sig
Ed Budman [dec]
- Pennsylvania
With deep sadness we advise that our friend Ed passed away Nov. 24, 2018

A. Hello, I don't know if it is an old subject but about the white patina: difficult to obtain. Forget the bismuth but you can use zinc nitrate around 50 to 100 gram/liter; it is a torch patina. To reinforce the white you can play with a water solution of titanium oxide and alternate the two solutions.
What I have tried also is first layer of brown (ferric nitrate) and titanium oxide with acetate poly vinyl. Not a real patina but the result is sometimes more important.
good luck

Luc Harzé
- Brussels, Belgium