-----

Heat scale removel

2000

I have a job that requires me to heat treat Au plated BeCu contacts after they have been plated with a Nickel Phosphorus underplate and a Au type 1 overplate.

I am having trouble getting the parts to pass solderability (SN60) after heat treating. Is there an oxide or heat scale on the surface of the part even with the parts being heat treated in nitrogen atmosphere, If so, what will remove it. Thanks in advance.

Wade Graham
- El Cajon, California

2000

Depending on how thick the gold is, it should keep the EN solderable. The gold dissolves into the solder, so I think the problem is with the EN, not an oxide on BeCu. What is the thickness of the gold and the EN? Are you getting perfect adhesion of the EN to the BeCu?

tom pullizzi monitor   tom pullizi signature