Can DM water be used in Cooling Tower?

A discussion started in 2008.
Add your Q. or A. to restore it to the "Current Topics" discussions.

I am arul kumar, working as design engineer in chennai. I am designing a cooling tower. I have to use the DM water for that as the water is going into precision equipment. I know that DM water in contact with air will generate carbonic acid. I am going to add pH booster. will it enough or any special precautions should I take. Will pH will develop rapidly or gradually in the circuit.

Arul Kumar K.
product designer - Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

A. Hi, Arul. PH change and carbonic acid are only the beginning of your problems. Cooling towers open to the atmosphere can collect garbage of all sorts unsuited to 'precision equipment' from pollen to acorns to bird droppings :-(

But there is a special type of cooling tower that may suit your needs, called an "atmospheric cooler" or "evaporative condenser" or such (I can't remember the exact name, and the name probably varies by geography anyway, but every cooling tower manufacturer will be familiar with it).

In this device, there are two circuits, one exposed to the atmosphere and one not. It functions like a combination cooling tower and heat exchanger but is much cheaper & simpler than two separate units, costing little more than a standard cooling tower.

Reuse regenerated water in Cooling tower as a makeup

Q. Is there any possibility to reuse to the regenerated water generated and used as a makeup in Coolong tower. this is reduced the effluent generation and save the raw water.
DM water technique: Ion Exchange with (Raw water tank to Pump-- Sand Filter--SAC--Degasser--WBA--SBA---MB--DM Water)..

ASHISH kumar
- INDIA