Acetate sealants for anodizing: aluminum nickel cobalt

(1998)

I have an aerospace drawing requirement for Type II (class 1) anodize per MIL-H-8625 with a note that the sealant is to be aluminum-nickel cobalt acetate. My questions are: 1) who has this sealant and 2) what properties does this sealant provide over nickel acetate.

Dan L [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
aerospace - Ogden Utah

(2000)

I have exactly the same question. Thanks.

Michael N [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
Atomic Paint Shop - Columbia, Missouri

(2000)

I run 2 large job shop anodize plants and I questioned my chemist on this and he told me:

You would use an aluminum nickel cobalt acetate, over a straight nickel acetate seal because it would lower the amount of nickel in your plant. He did tell me he feels it does NOT work as well & tends to leave more of a sealer film on the parts.

David A. Kraft
- Long Island City, New York