Coating on Rubbed Oiled Bronze faucet

(-----) February 3, 2008

I've been guilty of "abusing" the rubbed oiled bronze faucet in my bathroom. I've noticed that what I thought was the finish discoloration is actually a thin plastic like coating that is peeling.

What would happen if I peel the entire coating off? I did this with the sink stopper and the color appears darker but has lost its lustre. Is there anyway I can shine this back up.

CHRIS MCNEVINS
- TOLLAND CT USA
^

Unfortunately, if the OEM was unable to apply a coating that would reliably stick, even given the benefit of his knowledge of the construction, the opportunity to apply it before assembly, and controlled application conditions, the chance of you fixing it is really small. But I would try a wax rub; these add some shine and can give some variation and striation to the color; unfortunately, it's only a wax based product and is short lived. If you try it let us know.

^

What would be the long term effects from peeling off the film/coating from the faucet? Also, we're temporarily without a water softening system and our well water has a high iron content. How would this affect the sink/tub fixtures that are oil rubbed bronze?

Chris McNevins
- Tolland, Connecticut
^

It sounds like you are describing a lacquer or translucent polyurethane coating which may have been providing a tint or may only have been deterring tarnish. You should be able to see whether the coating was providing coloration.

You could try to remove the coating with lacquer thinner [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] and reapply.

I don't think hard water or high-iron water is more corrosive, but certainly iron can stain.

^