Small Business Electroplating Orchids

(-----) February 4, 2008

Hello, I grow a very large collection of orchids and have started a small business with orchids and all other exotic tropicals. My parents recently went to Thailand and brought back some electroplated orchids for me. Very nice gifts to sell. I would like to know, if you have the answer, what type of machines, supplies, etc, I would need to start electroplating my own orchids, and other flowers, for retail sales. Also if you could give me a ballpark estimate of what kind of money is involved, that would be great too. I have worked in many mycology labs and biotech labs, so I have the experience dealing with chemicals and lab equipment. If someone could give me an idea of what I would be getting myself into that would be excellent. If my idea sounds crazy and too much work for the end result, then tell me I am crazy, PLEASE! Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Jeff Cavanagh

Jeff Cavanagh
hobbyist/buyer/product designer - Marco Island, Florida
^

We have an FAQ on this subject that will hopefully help get you started. Plating orchids is a small, artistic, manual operation, so the equipment will not be cost prohibitive, but it may require an artist's touch -- when things are perceived as beautiful it's usually a sign that we know some artistic skill went into it :-)

Theoretically, you will be a plating shop and subject to the environmental regulations for plating shops. Practically though, we've been saying that for 12 years on this site without seeing any evidence that anyone is enforcing those regulations against artists, jewelers, and very small hobbyists though. But don't dump any chemicals; have them handled as hazardous waste.

^