Need small re-chromer to treat "brassing" on cameras

(-----) January 31, 2008

I am looking for a method to re-chrome wear on cameras which shows up as "brassing", that is brass showing through at locations of wear caused by rubbing. Typical chrome on cameras is what I would call "matte", not shiny, and ideally the process/equipment would plate a finish similar to the original. This would obviously be small scale in each operation but could involve more than one camera, hence multiple applications.
I would not be alone in this need, many photographers may also be interested in such a solution. A "green" solution would be nice, if not that at least information on properly processing and disposing of used chemicals and materials.

Mathew Sanders
hobbyist/collector - Oakland, California, USA
^

There are "brush plating" units available, Mathew -- see the banner at top right corner of this page. But some skill is required, especially if you are hoping to have the replating blend in to the existing. I'm not sure that even a skilled practitioner can achieve that. Usually the "matte" finish that you speak of is the result of a bead blasting operation done before the plating; so, again, it sounds very tricky to get a match.

Although we have been correctly stating here for 12 years that electroplating is an EPA regulated activity and that "you are a plating shop" and subject to all of these onerous reporting burdens if you do electroplating and sell your work, it's also true that in that same 12 years I have never heard of a single miniscule-sized plating operation like this being prosecuted. So maybe it's an environmental crimes felony, or maybe it's no worse than not wearing your seat belt -- I'm tired of even holding an opinion on it :-)

The plating is nickel followed by chrome, but there are "imitation" chromes that are pretty good. I would strongly urge you not to attempt "real" chrome plating as the solution is carcinogenic.

^

Try next solution: cobalt sulphate...20 gm
nickel sulphate...10 gm
citric acid.......50 gm
water.............1 lit
stainless steel anode
Can be used only on grease and oxide free surfaces!
According to USPT 4229671.Hope it helps and good luck!

^