Etching/patinating stainless steel

(-----) January 9, 2008

I make custom patio furniture and copper tables. I use a variety of finishes on the furniture, mostly powder coat. The copper is chemical treated and then clear coated. I have a customer that has a water fixture and a custom grill that is accented in stainless. She came to me to see if there is a way to tarnish or age the metal without tearing it out and powdercoating it. I have used some rust accelerators and other chemicals but have no idea what would work on stainless. My only idea is to radial sand it and pain it on site with a low gloss clear. If anyone has any info I would appreciate the help.

Ben Sherman
powder coater and liquid painter - Phx, Arizona, United States
^

You can oil(sunflower or Linseed Oil [affil. link to info/product at Rockler] or any other edible oli or fat or even milk) it very,very slightly,then heat it with hot air gun (up to 400 C).light yellow,brown or dark grey to black colour.Heat tinting is second possible option(cca 600 C=dark blue,other colours are possible too).Hope it helps and good luck!

^