Fixing a Bose Lifestyle Remote Control

(-----) January 4, 2008

I have an older Bose Lifestyle system and the remote has recently started to 'act up'. I am told that I need conductive paint to apply to the buttons to repair the 'connection'. Can someone tell me if this sounds like a viable fix, and where I might locate a small amount of this conductive paint?

Linda Straw
None - consumer that needs help - Wesley Chapel, FL, United States
^

Sounds like this unit has a "membrane switch" - this is a piece of mylar sort of like a tiny egg carton, with the inside coated with conductive paint. When you press the switch it's like turning that particular cell inside out and the conductive paint touches two contacts, completing the circuit. The bad news is that the mylar lasts about as long as the coating, so even if you recoat it, it's almost done for. Bose may (or may not) sell these membrane switch pads; if they do, $10 would be a lot. If Bose won't repair it or sell you the membrane switch, you may be able to find the manufacturer through some ID on the membrane.

^