GALVANIZING A SMALL STAINLESS STEEL SCULPTURE

(-----) 2007

I AM A STEEL SCULPTOR LIVING IN ALASKA
I HAVE A SMALL STAINLESS STEEL SCULPTURE 15 " X 15"
I NEED IT GALVANIZED
IT IS AN EXPERIMENT
IN YOUR OPINION WILL IT HOLD
I KNOW THERE WILL BE SOME REACTION BETWEEN THE 2 METALS, BUT IS IT POSSIBLE AND WILL THE FINISH HOLD
I AM NOT CONCERNED WITH LOOKS AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT RUB OFF OVER TIME
IS THIS POSSIBLE
THANKS

JOEL GRAESSER
FINE ART- SCULPTURE - HYDER, ALASKA, USA
^

2007

It won't work. There is little reaction between the zinc and the SS, and if there's no alloying reaction there's no coating.
We sometimes get pieces of SS welding into a mild steel (carbon steel) fabrication, and they come out as they went in, sometimes a little "furry" from the HCl pickling.

But I have to ask - Why?

Stainless has its own corrosion protection, better than galvanizing.
And there's surely not any other reason to galvanize? Its hardly an aesthetic coating! (And I'm a galvanizer, I want people to use this coating!)

geoff_crowley
Geoff Crowley
Crithwood Ltd.
Westfield, Scotland, UK
crithwood logo
^

thanks, I didn't think it would work
it was just an experiment although a few of the galvanizers I talked with said it would work
I will probably try on a small piece as an experiment
iIcan always have it sandblasted off
as a sculptor I am always trying to discover new and different finishes for my steel sculptures, the more untraditional the better
thanks for your help
Joel

Joel Graesser
fine art - Hyder, Alaska
^