Rust on a double-decker rabbit cage?

(-----) 2007

I have a double-decker rabbit cage. It had been sitting out in the open where it was rained on for a year and a half. It has got rust all over it and I want to GET RID OF IT ALL. I don't want to throw the cage away it's too useful. So how do I get the rust off a metal cage? Also will this be harmful to the rabbit if I have to use chemicals?
Thank you!

Sara Morrison
student - Olympia, Washington, USA
^

You can use Naval Jelly [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] to get rid of the rust, but there is apparently no plating on the cage anymore so it will re-rust very quickly. You'll need to paint it. Good luck.

^