Do we require certification for Alodine 1201

(-----) <  2007

THE COMPANY I WORK FOR IS STARTING UP A Alodine 1201 [linked by editor to info/product on Amazon] SHOP AND WE HAVE 5 PEOPLE LOOKING UP DIFFERENT PARTS FOR THIS PROCESS AND I NEED TO KNOW IF THERE IS ANY KIND OF TRAINING WE NEED FOR THIS OR CERTIFICATION? I KNOW HOW TO DO THE ALODINE PROCESS BUT I DON'T WANT TO DO WHAT I KNOW IF WE NEED TO BE TRAINED ON THE PROCESS AND I KNOW WE NEED IF SO WHAT IS IT CALLED? THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE AND HELP.

THERESA ABNEY
CONTRACTOR FOR MILITARY - ODON, INDIANA
^

2007

As you indicate you are a defense contractor, you will need to review your customers' purchase order requirements, whether a prime aerospace contractor or direct military / government contracts. Likely your will need to "chem-film" or aluminum conversion coat (Alodine is a trade name), likely you will either certify to the Mil-DTL-5541 [link is to free spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil] or a customer specification (like Boeing's BAC 5719). These usually do not impose prescriptive training requirements, but you likely will have flowed-down quality system requirements, such as AS9100 (a derivative of ISO9000) that will have generic requirements to develop an operator training and qualification internal program. This will require third-part audit and accreditation. Customers' contracts may also require another third-party audit and certification to AS7108 (Nadcap Chemical Processing Requirements)which again have generic training requirements. Additionally, as this is a chromated product, you may have state and local training requirements for safety, health and waste treatment. The material is toxic and not environmentally-friendly.

Douglas Hahn
- Saint Charles, Missouri
^