How hot can I take 281 fusible alloy

(-----) 2007

We use 281 fusible alloy in molten metal baths to heat small reactors. How hot can I go with it? I would like to heat it to 800 to 850C, is this possible?

Susan Pfrehm
researcher - Houston, Texas
^

2007

Well, the 281 alloy is a eutectic mix of 58% bismuth and 42% tin, by weight. Both have separate boiling points well in excess of 850C- it's more like 1564C for pure bismuth, and a mixture should extend the liquid range. I'd worry more about fumes, either from partial pressure vaporization or from the liquid forming a dross that sublimates.

Can you contact the manufacturer, whether it is Indium Corp, OstAlloy, Aserco, or one of the others and ask?

lee gearhart
Lee Gearhart
metallurgist - E. Aurora, New York
^