My cookie cutters are rusted; can I clean them?

2001

Q. Our company produces hand-made tin ornaments & cookie cutters. We have been asked to replicate the old-fashioned tin icicle ornaments that have an iridescent color on each side.

What needs to be applied to the tin in order to achieve these colors . . .or can this type tin be purchased?

Charles A. Reynolds
- Millersburg, Ohio, USA

2001

A. Several companies make pearlescent pigments that use the principle of thin-film reflectance. It is possible to reproduce that on a metal substrate, but I think it would be vastly cheaper to use the existing pigments themselves in a clear lacquer or urethane base. You can get different effects by using different particle sizes and concentrations. The companies are Englehard and EM Industries. Englehard also makes iridescent plastic films, which can be converted to glitter and used like the mica's (try Meadowbrook or Glitterex) and it may be possible to simply adhere their film to your products.

Good luck,

Robert Zonis
- Bohemia, New York

2004

A. Moiré metalique for tin:

1.heat your objects to 250 °C

2.immerse it into special pickle:

3.between crystals you must obtain black colour

4.rinse well

5.immerse to hydrochloric acid

6.without rinsing immerse in: 10 parts sodium thiosulphate/120 parts water solution- after that rinse it and lacquer it!

metals conservator - Zagreb, Croatia

2007

Q. I HAVE A LOT OF COOKIE CUTTERS BUT THEY ARE RUSTED, CAN I CLEAN THEM OR SHOULD I THROW THEM AWAY?

Edda Contreras
COOKING CLASS TEACHER - San Diego California Usa

2007

A. If they are special to you, Edda, a plating shop can re-tin them for you. But due to the relatively low labor cost of making thousands of new cookie cutters at a time, and the high labor cost of replating a few on a onesy-twosy basis, replating your old ones will cost more than buying new. They are not dangerous (unless you cut yourself deeply with one), but they might stain the cookies I suppose.

2007

A. Clean them with a scotchbrite pad and a suspension of baking soda [affiliate link to product info at Amazon] and water. Lightly oil after cleaning and after each use.

Q. Can you spray paint metal cookie cutters? Is it safe? What kind of paint would you use? Ace Hardware recommended Rustoleum products.

Lisa Franck
- Appleton, Wisconsin

A. Hi Lisa. Most paints are not designed to be used as food contact surfaces. Rustoleum is not a type of paint but a brand name of lots of different types of paint, so it's probably inaccurate to say that it is or isn't food-safe.

I would suggest you use the search term "food-safe paint" or "food contact paint" or "food grade paint" and you will see very specific suggestions both from the companies that offer them and from regulatory authorities. Good luck!

finishing.com is possible thanks to our supporting advertisers, including this shop:none

spacer