-----

Acid copper inert anode technology

2000

Good morning!

I was hoping this learned group could provide some insight into the current state of the art in inert anode technology, specifically for acid copper plating. I am trying to gather all relavent information I can on recommendations for base material (titanium most common?), and coatings to enhance performance (platinum, iridium oxide).

All pros and cons, do's and don'ts are of particular interest. I am investigating failure modes for these coatings, and any experience here is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Joseph Webb
TET Halco - Londonderry, New Hampshire USA

2000

Hey Joseph,

I think the reason nobody got back to you quicker, is no one much uses inert anodes in acid copper plating (just used in electrowinning). PC boards are flat (big user) and the bath has good throwing power thanks to the organics for even complex parts. The chloride ion is about 50 to 100 ppms so no problem with titanium or platinum. The strong acid (sulfuric) is not a problem with anything you have listed. Even the volts are low (3 to 6) and you should not see any break down of the titanium or others.

Fred Mueller, CEF
Wendt Dunnington - Royersford, Pennsylvania