Electroless nickel over nitrided steel

2000

I would very appreciate if someone know , which is the best process for activating nitrided steel for an electroless nickel application.

Do I need to sandblast and give a woods nickel strike before the plating?

Thanks very much

EMMANUEL SCHONWALD
Metal-Tech S.A - Buenos Aires

2000

I do not remember doing but a very few nitrided parts, but do not remember any problems.

Nitrided has a high nitrogen and carbon content in the surface of the metal. If you treat it as a high carbon part you should not have a problem. The surface is very prone to hydrogen embrittlement, so avoid long dips in acid. Keep it as brief as possible or use anodic current with it. I think that sulfuric and current works better than muriatic and current.

Blasting will not hurt the follow on plating, but normally you would not blast the area of nitrided surface. Blasting is an effective way of removing surface oxidation.

2000

Hi Emmannuel ,

If you have nitrided parts and access to a sandblaster then use it , but as you suggest it is only half of the problem solved , any "Free" carbon in the surface will not plate with EN thus pin holes in the coating will appear , in my opinion the use of a "Woods" nickel strike is mandatory . You must remember to keep the "Woods" nickel strike in good condition , depending upon usage carbon treatments are necessary on a regular basis , keep the operating parameters within =/- 10% of optimum and all should be OK .

regards

John Tenison-Woods
John Tenison - Woods
- Victoria Australia

2000

Can somebody advise me on preteatment for hard chrome plating nitrided extruder screws.

KINDLY HELP

VIKRAM
IRUSHA INDIA - CHANDIGARH INDIA