(one of the world's very few 'no registration' sites)

-----

"Can Titanium Nitride be done electrically like chrome? Does it have to be PVD or CVD?"

2007

Q. I am a Model Maker at a medical implant company. I build rapid prototype tools in R&D. My boss wants me to find a way to TiN plate some of our prototypes in house. I can't find any information about electroplating Titanium Nitride. Everyone seems to use PVD or CVD. Does the lack of information mean that it is impractical or dangerous? I would really like to plate the pieces in a fish tank like I did with spot welding electrodes. Is this even possible?

Daniel Waite
Tool Maker - Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA
^

2007

A. Only metals and alloys can be electroplated (certainly not all of them to date). Titanium nitride is NOT a metal. It's a chemical compound very much like table salt. Maybe sending your boss to a minor in chemistry would solve that problem, :-)

^

2007

A. The usual way to put down a layer of titanium nitride is to use PVD or CVD. However, I know that some years ago some work was done at Edinburgh University where they were creating nitride surfaces by electrochemical methods using liquid ammonia. The only catch (I think) is that you will need to have a titanium surface into which the nitride can be formed. My strong suspicion is, however, that you will need to use PVD for a good coating.

^

2007

A. The electrochemical generation of titanium nitride was done by Colin Pulham and Andrew Mount in the chemistry department of Edinburgh University. The deposit is created on the anode. However, it is not a process for those who do not have a sound understanding of both chemistry and electrochemistry!

^

2007

Q. This is a follow up question, and is directed to Mr. Trevor Crichton, and Hope would contribute to Original question.

Titanium Nitride by electrolysis you mean? Is it possible to get info on how to make the soup or the bath solution ? I hope its non proprietary info. I would like very much to try and duplicate what they did. I assure you I would really be very very careful in doing the experiment myself.

Just an enthusiast.

Joseph Franco
- Las Pinas, Metro Manila. Philippines
^

2007

A. Joseph, I do mean that titanium nitride can be generated by electrolysis. It is formed at the anode and in a bath of liquid ammonia. I suggest the best way to get the full story would be to contact Drs Colin Pulham and Andrew Mount at the Chemistry Department of Edinburgh University, Scotland. You can get their e-mail addresses from the internet - just do a search for them at Edinburgh University.

^

"Sol-Gel Science"

2007

A. Hi,

Maybe another option would be using sol-gel deposition.

Saludos

Guillermo Castorena
- México
^

2007

A. Guillermo, an interesting idea, but how would a sol gel work? Perhaps I am missing something in my understanding of sol gels!

^

Q. How would you plate a neodymium magnet in TiN

Malachai Woodiwiss
- Meridian Idaho usa
^

A. Hi Malachai. PVD would be the most common approach. Conventional aqueous electroplating is not possible.

^

A. TiN PVD coating on NdFe magnets is possible, but the probability of overheating the magnets is very high.

jim treglio portrait
Jim Treglio - scwineryreview.com
PVD Consultant & Wine Lover - San Diego, California
^