Mold-like residue on plated connectors
Mold-like residue on Be-Cu Base material with 0.0013 - 0.004 Thk Nickel Pl, covered with 0.002 min Gold Pl, and covered with 0.002min Matte Tin Plating. We have this complaint raised by our customer about a connector having contact pins which already turned green and have mold like residue... this product has been produced about a year ago... is there any possible cause for this occurrence? Testing shows the presence of Na Cl and S.
QA Engineer - Singapore
The plated thicknesses you give here seem way too heavy for plated connectors. Four mil (.004) thick Ni and two mil (.002) Au and Sn are not common at all in connectors.
As far as a "mold like residue" or whatever the customer is seeing can be a result of improper packaging and storage. Sulfur free packing should always be used. As far chloride salts, improper rinsing in the tin process, or just the storage conditions can cause that.
Process Engineer - Syracuse, New York