-----

HELP! Anodization Info Needed!

2000

I'm a grade 10 student from canada and I am doing a project on anodization. I need to know the chemical process involved. Can Anyone Help?

Bob Janisse
- windsor canada

2000

Greetings Bob,

Sure we can help you out. I'll give you the basic information here, if you'd like to e-mail me I'll go into greater detail, as I don't want to flood the forum with information applicable to you only.

Anodizing takes place in a bath of acid (typically sulphuric, or chromic, or phosphoric, with sulphuric being the #1 most used). The acid concentration of a sulphuric bath is typically 15% by volume. Now to anodize you would need on average 18-24V and 14-18 amps/sq.ft. This would give you a "clear anodized" finish, which could then be dyed in a rainbow of colors to suit your needs. After anodizing, and if needed dying of the parts, you would then properly seal in the coating with a "sealing bath" (this stuff can be so confusing *grin*).

Since you're only up in the Windsor area (kinda close to me) If you wanna pass on your address to me in a private e-mail I can send you up a couple of sample pieces I have that you could possibly use as show for your project. There is nothing more convincing in a high school science project, report than a finished product that displays what it does, I could send you a clear anodized part and a few colored ones, along with a bare part (total of around 5-6) that would show you and your classmates/teachers exactly what it is.

I know there is more I can add on here about the anodizing, but as I stated before, I prefer not to flood the forums with information, just e-mail me and I'll fill you in on more interesting stuff.

Good Luck to you Bob

Matthew Stiltner
plating company - Toledo, Ohio