HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsForum letter 43992

What is Blackodizing?

adv.    Heatbath  EPI (2007)

Dear Sir,

I want to know about the process of Blackodising. What is the principal on which Blackodising process is based on.

Umakant Shivankar
Automobiles - Mumbai, India

(2007)

Blackodizing is a term that is widely used in India, where it means what we in the USA would call "black oxiding". So if you don't have success looking up your term, try "black oxide", Umakant. Start with our FAQ about Black Oxide and Cold Blackening on line here, then most plating handbooks will cover it in greater depth.

(2007)

Further to Ted's answer, Blackodizing salts are a brand name for a certain type of black oxide solution.
A bit like a vacuum cleaner being known as a Hoover, so black oxide is often called Blackodizing.

Brian Terry
Aerospace - Yeovil, Somerset, UK

February , 2007

Thanks for the info, Brian. I would have acknowledged it as a trade name had I known. But in googling I didn't find any ® or TM. If someone lets us know the company I'll be happy to acknowledge it. Thanks again.

(2007)

Ted,

Even I had difficulty checking that the original company still exists, as they do not seem to maintain their own website. The company is called Tool Treatments Ltd, located in West Bromwich, England. The product is called Blackodising salts. They have been supplying companies in the UK as far as I can tell since at least the early 1970s and probably before then. The company that I used to work for had a specification dating back to 1972 and they were called up then.

Brian Terry
Aerospace - Yeovil, Somerset, UK