-----

Protect Carbon Steel from rusting during immersion

2000

I have some large (14 ft long) pieces of carbon steel which will be immersed in 4.0 pH water for 15 - 20 days. I am trying to prevent rusting. I am looking a phosphatizing, Black Oxide and electroless nickel coatings as possible answers. Which is the best and why? I have the option of raising the pH but that gets more complicated. I cannot use oils to seal the surfaces - the coating must do the entire rust prevention.

Art Krenzel
Phoenix Technologies - Battle Ground, Washington

2000

Of the choices listed, EN is the best by several orders of magnitude, assuming that the pH is not from nitric acid. Citric acid might cause a problem.

Is a heavy coat of an appropriate formulation of powder coat an option? Would probably last longer in some cases and should be cheaper.