-----

Looking for better coatings

2000

I'm looking for suggestion on types of coating I could use. The application is in the food market so the coating must meet FDA standards. We machine carrier bar out of 2024-T351 Aluminum. We are currently supply the to are customer with Hard Coat with teflon impregnated. What I need is a hard surface approx. 60 to 85 rc with some lubricity. That would hold up to some hash cleaning from are customers. I'm looking into Titan coating (TINC) or something similar.

How about Stainless steell coating is it out there yet? There got to be some new coating out there?

Please Help

David Pressler
machine shop - Medford New Jersey

2000

Zirconium nitride (ZrN) is acceptable by the FDA for body implants, so it should be for your application. We can deposit it on aluminum substrates without softening the metal. The hardness is over 80 Rc. It is somewhat lubricious, though it is not by any means a solid lubricant coating. ZrN, by the way, is the gold coating used on faucets and door knobs. We can make it silvery, if you so desire.

jim treglio portrait
Jim Treglio - scwineryreview.com
PVD Consultant & Wine Lover - San Diego,
California

2000

Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, but MHC (Martin-Hardas, the more popular of the hardcoating treatments) registers around a 75rc .

As far as the harsh cleaning chemicals, what do they contain? I of course tell people to stay away from cleaners with caustics (Castrol Super Clean being a commercial product that destroys aluminum and anodize).

Would it be possible for the customer to evaluate a different type of cleaning solution?

I would work with the supplier to try and convince them

Matthew Stiltner
plating company - Toledo, Ohio

2000

Consider about 0.0015" of electroless nickel. Not knowing the type of load on the bar it is not possible to say, but it should meet your needs. Cost will be similar to slightly higher depending on vendors pricing.

2000

hi,u coat the hard anodizing and greblon three coat PTFE/ceramic ALFA(R) on your job. the coating giving a 100 micron thickness and hardness 75 shore d.this is an fda approvel grade.more details you contact to mr.Tim Rand m/s weilburger uk ltd.they are giving to you necessary help.

kalyan d
sales and marketing - Mumbai, India