How to do tin plating

(2000)

i would like to do some tin plating at home..who can tell me how to go about this? what materials are necessary? thanks for your reply lenore

lenore mallais
- canada

(2004)

I do steel furniture and sculptures and would like to learn more about protecting my work against corrosion. I wanted to see if I could get some info about tinplating and maybe some other ways to protect my work from the elements?

Let me know.

Stephen Christena
- Chicago, Illinois, USA

(2004)

Tin can be applied by electroplating or by dipping into molten tin.

Electroplating tin is a somewhat troublesome process even for the skilled and experienced employees in electroplating shops, and it involves categorically hazardous materials (materials that are ruled hazardous by law, rather than it being left to a matter of opinion). It shouldn't be done at home; rather, the items should be taken to an electroplating jobshop.

Tinning by dipping into molten tin is something I've seen industrially, but I've haven't seen the traditional home retinning of yesteryear. Letter 25553 is a brief intro though.