-----

Custom Color Wrinkle Finish for Small Shops?

Black Wrinkle Paint

Affil. Link
Your purchases make finishing.com possible

Black Wrinkle Paint

Affil. Link

2000

Hi, I'm Rick Hall, the owner/prop. of a small one man sign shop of 16 years. I need to know if there is an additive for oil based or other paints that can facilitate a wrinkle finish. The archive had a response to a similar question a while back that mentioned using a "spray can" finish. This is OK for some colors but not for exact color matches.

So I ask about the Wrinkle Finish additive possibilities for my lead based gloss enamels ( Sign Lettering Paint ) or maybe one of the other paints that are easy to obtain in auto paint category like: acrylic lacquer or acrylic enamel. I Have many old things around the shop that have this familiar old metal finish that leads me to ask if this process is just out of favor/demand any more, or is there some toxic reason that it can't be economical to offer as a regular option in the big commercial finishing industries.

Rick Hall
signs - Kitty Hawk, North Carolina

2003

I think you can buy crinkle paint in aerosol cans at craft stores and / or Wall mart. If colors are limited, color coat over them.
They still have the old splatter paints like used to go in trunks.
Question: Where do you find that Acrylic Lacquer you mentioned, All the suppliers around here have discontinued it and I really need some for my son's 72 Blazer. Sherwin Williams, R&M;, Martin Seymour & DuPont all tell me they have "obsoleted" it.

Sam hinton
- Greensboro, North Carolina

Hello, Sam. Please see letter 409 for a discussion of how wrinkle paint works and perhaps how you can make it. I don't know enough about it to tell you if it's good advice, but the discussion is there :-)