-----

Obsolete thermal spray processes?

2000

I am considering purchasing a company that does thermal spray coatings (I have no experience in the industry, and would probably only purchase the company if given a chance to work there for several years first). The company doesn't do any portable work, and most of the parts it processes are small. I was told by a person I spoke to in the industry that some thermal spray processes have become obsolete, and I wanted to verify this. Can anyone out there give me an answer to this question?

Eric Knies
- Michigan

First of two simultaneous responses-- 2000

Eric, There have been a number of changes and new technologies introduced into the spray arena, and you should check them out before putting out any serious money. There is a thermal spray society which holds an annual meeting complete with a relatively large equipment/services trade show. You might want to attend the next one. I don't remember the exact name of their society, but you can probably find it on the net rather easily.

jim treglio portrait
Jim Treglio - scwineryreview.com
PVD Consultant & Wine Lover - San Diego,
California

Second of two simultaneous responses-- 2000

No thermal spray process is obsolete, but some are no longer equally competitive. HVOF is probably the best way to go as it is capable of very high energy coating that tend to be harder, have less porosity and can spray exotic alloys that basic thermal (flame) spray can not and that some low end plasma equipment does a poor job on. One rig burns kerosene and oxygen vs the higher priced fuels such as hydrogen. Any of the major companies will be happy to bury you in sales information -Metco, Miller and etc.