Hard Chroming a Crankshaft

(2006)

I have an old Aston Martin crankshaft that has been ground 0.020" on the main and rod journals. Its been suggested that I look into hard chroming versus welding due to the age and length of the crank. Also, I may want to hard chrome back to standard diameter (0.020" now) is this possible? What are the pitfalls of doing this, what should I ask. With 0.020" already turned down, I don't think there is much of the original nitriting to harden the crank left. Thanks,

Hugh Rose
Motion Picture Studio - Burbank, California

First of two simultaneous responses -- (2006)

I've never worked crankshafts, but I may suggest the following :
1-stress release baking then flame spray
2- stress release ,shotpeening and chrome plating .If the thickness required is high ,you may need to build up ,first go for a low stress nickel .

Cair Shishani
Cair Shishani
aircraft maintenance - Al Ain, United Arab Emirates

Second of two simultaneous responses -- (2006)

There are specialist shops which can easily hard chrome and grind your crank. 0,020" is no problem.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
Spartanburg,
      South Carolina