The world's most popular metal finishing site, and striving to be the internet's friendliest corner

Removing Oxidation from Kovar

A discussion started in but continuing through 2019

2006

Q. Hi, I would like to ask how to remove the oxide layer from Kovar material.
Thank you in advance,

Sukru Baha Baydir
- Ankara, Turkey

2006

A. Hello, Sukru. The oxide can probably be removed either mechanically or chemically depending on what the sheet or parts look like and what you want to do with them after removing the oxide. Can you provide a bit more context please?

2006

After heat treatment with N2 I got brownish surface on my Kovar material. Since my apparatus need to be dimensional accuracy I want to remove the oxide layer chemically. If there is a solution to remove the oxide layer from material it'll be better. There is no next step for my project except removing oxide layer.

Thank you in advance,

Best Regards,

Sukru Baha Baydir [returning]
- Ankara, Turkey

2006

A. Kovar® can be pickled in inhibited, 50 vol% hydrochloric acid (~16 wt% HCl); a suitable inhibitor is available from GALKIM in Istanbul.

This alloy is usually annealed in dry hydrogen. Water vapor may be added (dewpoint 20-30 °C) for decarburization or to slightly oxidize the surface for (some believe) improved adhesion to borosilicate glass.

Ken Vlach
- Goleta, California
contributor of the year

Finishing.com honored Ken for his countless carefully
researched responses. He passed away May 14, 2015.
Rest in peace, Ken. Thank you for your hard work
which the finishing world continues to benefit from.

A. Reheating the Kovar in a nitrogen/hydrogen mix will remove your oxide.

Richard Browning
- Southampton England

Q. Kovar pieces have oxidation on them after heat treating. This component needs to have glass put onto it for assembly. How can we remove the oxidation and prepare the piece for the glass-to-metal seal? Thanks.

Beth Reynolds
- Chicago, Illinois, USA

Q. Which Chemicals are recommended for cleaning of KOVAR after Fabrication (slurry)? Actually we are going to do Experiment with N2 Gas.

ARJUN D SHANKAR
isro - Banglore Karnataka India