Aloha, fun & authoritative answers -- no cost, no registration, no passwords, no popups
(as an eBay Partner & Amazon Affiliate we earn from qualifying purchases)

Home /
Site 🔍
pub  Where the
world gathers for metal finishing
Q&As since 1989


How to Spec and Quantify a Matte Finish

Is there a Standard or some other spec I can call out on a drawing for a Matte finish on SS? My suppliers are told to fabricate SS parts and them to apply a matte finish. Well, that is a little subjective plus my incoming inspectors don't have a standard to inspect to. So the end result is having varying degrees of "matte" finish.

Bill Porter
Electronics Mfg. - Dallas, Texas

First of two simultaneous responses --

Depending on the roughness you desire, there is a well known surface finish standard from the SPE that includes several codes which are matte finishes produced by sandpaper and abrasive blasting with different size and quality media. You can buy some of these plates for your inspectors and your supplier can do the same. We always have some available since we constantly have similar problems. Let us know if we can help.

Guillermo Marrufo
Monterrey, NL, Mexico

Second of two simultaneous responses --

The old catch 22 question. About the only thing you can be sure of is the surface finish in a known standard of Ra or Rms. If it were a brushed finish, you could call out the wire brush required. For a matte finish you can call out either a blast finsh and the specific media or for mass finishing you can call out the specific size, shape, and composition of the media to be used. Even given this info, your inspectors will not be able to verify these finishes either unless they see it in operation.

tony kenton
AF Kenton
retired business owner - Hatboro, Pennsylvania


Thanks for the input. Guillermo, excuse my ignorance but what does SPE stand for? I'd like to see what plates they have to offer.

I guess I figured there would be a Mil spec for this. I'm also needing something to spec "satin" finish.

We do call out the type of media to use but depending on the machine and parameters used the operator can make different finishes using the same media.

Bill Porter
- Dallas, Texas

SPE stands for Society of Plastics Engineers. We belong to it and have some of those plates manufactured according to their specs. We have sold some to our customers in the field of plastic injection molds. Let us know if we can help.

Guillermo Marrufo
Monterrey, NL, Mexico

(No "dead threads" here! If this page isn't currently on the Hotline your Q, A, or Comment will restore it)

Q, A, or Comment on THIS thread -or- Start a NEW Thread

Disclaimer: It's not possible to fully diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations might be harmful.

If you are seeking a product or service related to metal finishing, please check these Directories:

Chemicals &
Consult'g, Train'g
& Software

About/Contact  -  Privacy Policy  -  ©1995-2024, Pine Beach, New Jersey, USA  -  about "affil links"