Stripping Nickel Chrome Plating

(2000)

I'm Robert Peterson a hobbyist looking to strip nickel chrome plating from a set of investment cast-heat treated 8620 carbon steel golf clubs. I am having them refurbished. Any recommendations on acids or chemicals I can use to strip this coating? Preparation ideas?

Robert R. Peterson
- Thunder Bay, ON and Minneapolis, Minnesota

(2000)

Who is doing the refurbishing? Why not let them do the stripping since the clubs will probably need to be replated?

Jerry Smith
- Bloomingdale NJ USA

(2000)

I am looking to remove the chrome nickel combination to get a clean raw finish so I can cold blue the clubheads...its quite a popular trend in clubs today for increased feel, and the rust that accumulates on the face imparts more spin on the ball without damaging the cover as much as a 'carbite' coating.

Robert R.Peterson

(2000)

Robert, I am trying to do the same thing to my sand wedge. If you have any luck, please let me know how you went about stripping the chrome. Thanks.

David Sall
- Omaha, NE

(2005)

It is best to just ask a plating shop to strip them because it is a difficult and dangerous process if you are not trained and equipped. Hydrochloric acid (Muriatic Acid [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]) will strip the chrome, but then you need a proprietary stripper for the nickel.