(one of the world's very few 'no registration' sites)

-----

"Dacromet coating questions"

Current question and answers:

Q. In my organization Dacromet coating surface is used for parts.

Can you please explain to me how much life per micron of Dacromet coating?

Means on parts with 15 micron coating, every year 1 micron coating vanishes, so life of Dacromet coating on this part is 15 years?

Bhushan Chavan
- Nashik India
^

A. Hi Bhushan. There are so many different exposure situations that I don't think any such number is valid. Rather, the thickness to be specified is according to how severe the environment is. For example, for zinc electroplating, 5 microns is considered appropriate for mild conditions, 8 microns for moderate, 12/13 for severe service per ASTM B633 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet] . So I'd say 15 microns of Dacromet is appropriate for "severe" exposure, but I would not try to express it in any specific number of years.

^

Closely related historical postings, oldest first:

2006

Q. I have been receiving of late a lot of enquiries regarding Dacromet coating on fasteners, Please let me know how is Dacromet coating done and what is the significance of salt spray resistance in respect to hours.

Kapil aggarwal
- New Delhi, INDIA
^

2006

A. Dacromet is a trademark of Metal Coatings International, and it describes a zinc-rich dip-spin coating. It is a way of applying a sacrificial coating of zinc. My understanding is that it offers greater corrosion resistance than zinc electroplating (probably because it's thicker).

Salt spray testing is not a meaningful way to predict the life of zinc-based coatings though. The protection they afford in the real world comes from the formation of stable and insoluble zinc carbonate corrosion products that develop over time with exposure to the carbon dioxide in the open air.

^

2006

A. Dacromet coatings (include Geomet coatings) is known by many professional people in China. Also it will develop rapidly in the field of metal anti-corrosion.

Willam [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Guangzhou, China
^

Dear Sir,

Recently I saw a term "zinc flake coating". Is it the same as Dacromet coating?

Bryan

Bryan [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Munich, Germany
^

Hi, Bryan. Probably. Dacromet is one brand name of what people might call "zinc flake coating". But please remember that you must never specify a coating that loosely nor quote to do a coating that is so loosely defined. A colloquialism like this might be used in a technical article, in context, where the meaning will not be misconstrued, but specifications must be carefully detailed. Good luck.

^

Q. What are the contents of Dacromet coating layer?
And what is plus overcoat?

Ani Wadghule
tech student - Maharashtra, India
^

A. Hi, Ani.

Dacromet is a proprietary product containing zinc flakes, aluminum powder, metal oxides, and binders. Metal Coating International will tell you that much, and maybe a little more of what you want to know, but not everything about it, because it will be trade secret. Good luck.

^

Q. My company has produced some parts with good appearance, but we need surface like stainless steel after Dacromet. Is it possible?

Masoud Nosraty
- Mashad, Iran
^

Q. I hear Dacromet will no longer be available after 2016. Is this true, and what is the acceptable replacement?

Betsy Simmons
fastener distribution - Rochester, New York USA
^

A. Hi Betsy. I think you need to contact NOF Metal Coatings (formerly Metal Coatings International) for the straight scoop rather than relying on rumor, but my guess is that perhaps they have decided to move exclusively to their Geomet line which is, per my understanding, very similar but chromium-free.

There are several other suppliers of zinc-rich dip-spin coatings, including The Magni Group, Doerken, Sermagard, and Zintek -- but whether they are an "acceptable replacement" will depend on what the spec says. Good luck.

^

Poor Dacromet Adhesion

I had a project about anti-corrosion coating for metal base parts in 2015 and got trouble with surface adhesion. Would you tell me what's going wrong? In addition I blast my parts and baked well according to standards.

mack clarity
- hamburg/germany
^

A. Hi Mack. There are a lot of things that could have gone wrong, from operational errors to unreasonable expectations. As a starting point can you please quantify what you mean by "got trouble with surface adhesion" and what the base metal was?

If you phone a doctor and tell her you have a fever, it might mean infection, but that single symptom doesn't say enough; similarly, although poor adhesion often means insufficient cleaning, that's not always the case. Good luck.

^

adv.: Dip-spin Coating Services
saify ind banner