Using pure bismuth to coat copper

(-----) 2006

I would like to bond bismuth to copper for a special proprietary application and was wondering if this is feasible. Is it as easy as using flux and basically melting the bismuth onto the copper, as if I were soldering? What I'd like to do is pour or apply molten bismuth onto a copper surface and have it adhere. Where should I begin?

Thanks for any responses.

Don A. Gilmore
Mechanical Engineering - Kansas City, Missouri, USA
^

2006

Bismuth fumes are very bad for the human body, so approach with caution. Something like a fume hood probably should be used.
You do not mention part size. This would make a big difference.
You probably could use a plumber furnace and an appropriate pot. I would guess that sanding the copper and a quick dip in Muriatic Acid [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] should allow it to work like old fashioned leading. (LED)

^

2006

You can brush plate Bismuth onto metals such as copper. We have been doing this for a number of years on a limited amount of parts as the application is unusual.

This is an electrolytic process so no heating of the bismuth metal is required.

Chris Helwig
- Valencia, California, USA
^