Silverplate accidentally put in dishwasher

(-----) 2006

I received a sugar shell from an older acquaintance as a gift. After a dinner, my husband accidentally put it in the dishwasher and when I removed it is the color of similar to copper in the bowl of the spoon mostly not tarnished.

I tried a silver polish - nothing; I tried the soda with al.foil in hot water- nothing.

Can you give me information on what I need to do to restore the silver, or is it too damaged?

I have a feeling that this piece is over 50 years old and the marking on the back reads solid nickel silver. I am not familiar with this term.

I appreciate any insight into this problem.

Linda C. Reaves
consumer - Greensboro, North Carolina
^

2006

It is not ruined, Linda, but it does need work. The ideal solution if the item is of value to you is to send it to a silver plating shop for restoration to the condition you seek. If your standards can be a little lower, and if it is more decorative than functional, there are commercially available "wipe-on" or "immersion silvering" chemicals available for repairing the plating yourself. See our FAQ on Silver Plating at Home. Good luck.

^

2006

Hi Linda,
Solid nickel-silver is an alloy of copper, nickel and in most cases zinc. It is called nickel silver because of it's silvery appearance, but does not contain any elemental silver. It was used years ago as a sterling silver substitute. The only thing I could suggest is to have the piece polished and silver plated by a reputable plating shop in your area. Good Luck!

Process Engineer - Syracuse, New York
^