Deposition of ceramic layer over carbon as a substrate

(-----) 2006

Dear Sir,
I want to deposit a layer of ceramic over carbon electrode as a substrate.The application of the final product would be to enhance the heat resistance of the electrode.I thought Electroplating or Electrophoretic deposition would work for the application but I am not getting sufficient papers and study materials for this deposition.Please help by providing any useful information.Your site has always helped me and I am expecting the same this time too. GOOD DAY

PALLAVI NIGAM
non ferrous technology development centre,hyderabad - Hyderabad, Andhra pradesh, India
^

2006

I don't think this can be done by electroplating or electrocoating, Pallavi. I believe that you should be investigating PVD processes for the deposition of ceramics.

If this site has always helped you, reply to some inquiries yourself. This is not a consulting service where you pay for that help with money, it's a place of camaraderie where you pay for the expertise that has been shared with you by sharing your expertise with others.

^

2006

You may perhaps try plasma spraying for thick ceramic coatings provided it adheres well on carbon.
For thinner coating PVD is suitable. Ceramics like TiN. TiCN can be readily coated. Alumina coating techniques have also been developed. What ceramic you are looking for and what is the thickness of the coatings?

H.R. Prabhakara - Consultant
bangaloreplasmatek.com - Bangalore Karnataka India
^

2006

Maybe I am loosing something here. You are talking about an electrode, so it has to conduct electricity, but ceramics are non conductors. You also say you want to enhance heat resistance of your graphite. But there are only one or two very exotic ceramics such as tantalum-hafnium carbide that surpass carbon in its solid upper limit of 4000oK. The more common coated ceramics such as alumina, silicon carbide, tungsten carbide, titanium nitride, chrome carbide, etc. are all way below that. Could you explain more?

^