Plating platinum with gold?

(-----) 2006

Is it possible to gold plate a platinum ring? I realize this may seem silly, but....

Eric Piseczny
consumer - Schenectady, New York
^

2006

Yes it is doable. However, plating is thin and rings get a LOT of wear (you may have seen old rings worn all the way through). The main problem with your plan is that as soon as the yellow gold wears thin in even a tiny spot, the contrast will be very evident.

^

2006

Hi. My boyfriend showed me a ring that belonged to his great-grandmother, grandmother and mother that he wants to give to me as an engagement ring. The diamonds are set in platinum and white gold, but the band itself is yellow gold. It's a beautiful ring (exactly what I wanted), but I don't wear yellow gold. I read some of these posts and there doesn't seem to be anything good about white gold plating. I was wondering if platinum plating is better? And what the cost might be to do that? Any information would be helpful, as we don't want to go to a jeweler completely blind. Thanks!

Alicia De La Torre
consumer - New York, NY USA
^

2006

Hello Alicia. The problem is not rhodium plating vs. platinum plating. The problem is that no plating can last long enough for an heirloom ring because rings get a lot of wear. When white plating is put onto white metal, it's one thing, the thin spots don't shout at you. But when white plating is put on yellow metal (or vice versa) the ring looks like a Cracker Jax prize as soon as it starts to wear. Learn to like yellow gold :-)

^