What plating is typically used on kitchen appliances

(-----) 2006

We've got a number of trays and a grill we use in our toaster oven which are starting to show rust through the plating. I'd like to extend the life of these items, if it's at all feasible for a household budget. My questions are:

How can I tell the difference between chrome and nickel plating?

Would additional plating halt the rusting that's happening?

Would it be economically feasible?

Barry L. Newton
consumer - Ashton, Maryland, USA
^

2006

Decorative plating is never just chrome; if the top layer is chrome, there is always nickel plating under it. It takes a trained eye to tell chrome from nickel, and even then it's only easy if the two are side by side. Nickel is more yellowish, chrome is more bluish. I would have expected these racks to be nickel, but mine sure looks like chrome to me.

Plating pieces one at a time is quite expensive because of the extremely disproportionate labor. Unless the item has sentimental value or is very difficult to replace, replating is usually cost prohibitive. I'd bet that you can buy a replacement rack from the manufacturer for far less than the cost of replating the one you have.

^

2006

Appliance enamel, it's cheap, it's durable, and it's less expensive than getting your stuff replated.

Just sand it first.

Marc Banks
Blacksmith - Shawboro, North Carolina
^

2006

That pretty much confirms my suspicions about cost. I was hoping to be wrong, obviously.

Appliance enamel: I've used enamel paint on things like clothes dryers, but never heard of it for something that's going to be subjected to heat. Presumably a specialized variant. I'm willing to believe a blacksmith on that matter. . . but still wonder if the stuff would be safe on a food preparation implement?

Barry L. Newton
- Ashton, Maryland, USA
^