How to analyze ammonium content in acid zinc plating?

adv.    chemionic banner

(2006)

Q. I am plating with the mixture of potassium-ammonium chloride in an acid zinc plating process.
I know how tho get the zinc and total chloride. now my question is: How do I analyze the bath in order to get the ammonia content?

Thanks! Saludos!

Guillermo Castorena G.
Jobshop - San Luis Potosí, México

(2006)

A. You need to perform a distillation. Find a procedure for total ammonia in environmental samples, and apply that to your plating bath. You'll have to dilute the sample massively, at least by a factor of 200. The ammonia in the distillate can be determined titrimetically.

All of this is not trivial, esp. if you have no distillation set up. You might be best off sending it out to a lab.

(2006)

A. Firstly, contact your brightener supplier. They should be able to provide this information. The two methods I know of are: distillation and spectrographic (using Nessler's Reagent).

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York

(2006)

thumbs up sign Thanks a lot!
Gracias!

Guillermo Castorena G. [returning]
- San Luis Potosí, México

(2006)

A. Also, this analysis can be done quite easily if you have Ion Chromatography equipment.

Terry Tomt
- Auburn, Washington

October 5, 2017 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Hi all, I have using potassium and ammonia bath. But I don't know how to analyze KCl and NH4Cl? Help me please. Thank you.

Lee William
Plating shop employee - Hochiminh,vietnam