Need Guidance on Cleaning Nordson 100 Gun from Silicon/Oil

(-----) 2006

Folks,

I think I did something really stupid. While trying to preserve the life on my compressor since pump piston life has shown to be only 12 months give the cramped quarter in shop and all the sanding dust around, I sprayed WD-40 [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] into the oilless piston chamber of the compressor pump. While I have filters all around, I suspect the WD-40 has made its way through the filters into my guns. I say this because just about every powder coating cycle now have almost 1 moon crater/fish eye per square inch. They show up during flow out. While I can add new filters at the compressor and the guns, I need to clean out my guns. I have a Nordson 100 (expensive) and a Chicago Electric gun (cheapy). Does anyone know the best process/.chemical for cleaning out the guns from oils/silicon? Would denatured alcohol, regular alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner, or oil and grease remover go through the gun without damaging?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mario Spina
Self - Vienna, Virginia
^

2006

Denatured alcohol works for what you want to do, and it won't hurt the gun. Don't forget that all of the air lines and regulators that are between the compressor and the gun will be contaminated too(there are some inside the power unit also), so they will have to be cleaned or changed. it's hard to get WD-40 out of a powder system, good luck.

Sheldon Taylor
Sheldon Taylor
supply chain electronics
Wake Forest, North Carolina

^