Aluminum Etching

(-----) 2006

I am trying to locate supplies for etching designs on aluminum disks to make trays.

My mother used to do this craft about 50 years ago. I have recently found the aluminum disks and patterns that she used but I am not clear what she used for the paint and the etching acid. She used to transfer the designs using carbon paper and then painted in the areas that would not be etched. Then she would pour an acid onto the trays and leave for a period of time (30 minutes?). She would then remove the paint with paint thinner or turpentine.

I am wondering if anyone would know what to use for the paint and acid and more importantly where to locate these supplies.

Susan Jett
hobbyist - Sugar Land, Texas
^

2006

Non toxic and safe etchant for aluminum:
CuSO4....100 gm
NaCl.....25 gm
NaHSO4...2,5 gm
H2O......1 lit
As resist You can use melted wax or car paint . Hope it helps and good luck!

^