Aluminum and Wood

(-----) 2006

Thanks you for allowing me to ask this question.
I was in Borders today and they had just recently finished a upgrade/remodel to the coffee shop area. At the pick-up area there is an attached "platter" of sorts that is raised up for customers to pickup their orders.
The tray/platter is what I have the question about?
It is made of what looks like Cherry and has an aluminum inlay. I believe that is the best way to explain it. The wood edge was about 1.5 inches, I do not know if the there is a composite substrate below the aluminum with just a cherry wood edge.
The Aluminum has been scored/scratched with something like 80 grit then an airbrush pattern has ben applied with overcoat. Whatever the topcoat is it covers both the aluminum and the wood edge for a flush even surface. There is a black border about 1/16 of an inch around the aluminum that I believe was a colored epoxy that mounted the aluminum to the wood.
I have followed the art part of doing the aluminum in airbrush Mag using auto finishes, where a clear is used to cover the scratches the airbrushed work applied, then a candy in this case red finish (transparent).
My questions is how or what kind of finish that could be used that would hold up to all of the use? How well would it stand up over time with the movement of the wood.
Does anyone know how this is done?

Louis Barchey
consumer - Penacook, NH, USA
^

2006

It's probably a 2-part clear/colored epoxy over the aluminum inlay. It's available at most carpentry stores. Usually it will last for decades of abuse.

Marc Banks
Blacksmith - Shawboro, North Carolina
^