Machining zinc chromate

(-----) 2006

I have parts that have been heat treated and coated with zinc yellow chromate.
After they were coated they went out of size. I need to machine about .0015 to .002 a side off the part to get it back into tolerance and then replate. Any ideas as to the kind of insert I should be using to machine off the zinc.

Cliff Winters
Exact Precision Inc - Manheim, PA
^

2006

I wouldn't do it that way, Cliff. I'd send the parts back to the plater. Their pretreatment tanks will easily strip the chromate and the zinc, returning the item to pure steel for remachining. A typical zinc plating thickness would be about .0003 to .0005", and this will also afford you the chance to see what thickness of zinc you had, and when and where the dimensioning went south.

^