How to repair a gold plated sink?

(-----) 2006

I did a silly thing. I know! I know! I'm a female too, what can I say....That aside, being a bit of a clean freak, I noticed several water spots on a gold sink (I'm visiting a friend) and decided to clean it! SURE! I started at the bottom of the sink closest to the drain, and used a liquid abrasive - rubbed it three or four times and then took a peak! Well, my smile disappeared pretty darn quick! Its now silver or something god awful like it. PUH LEEEEEEZE help 'n say yes its this simple to fix! Which is my question....You sound VERY knowledgable, and so I need to know, is it possible to fix it on my own OR will the sink need to be removed and sent out to be refinished from scratch... I hope not, it already sound too expensive...and I'm broke. :-(

Signed...

Sad 'n DESPERATE!

Kim H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
student - Los Angeles
^

2006

Try Medallion Gold solution. It may gold plate it a few millionths of an inch thick, which should last a little while, and your friend can reapply as necessary. For a heavier, more permanent repair, or if the underlying metal of the sink is not brass, bronze, or copper, the sink would have to be "brush plated" with gold. There were a lot of people who were in the business of gold plating auto insignia a few years ago. Ask our brush plating suppliers.

^

Medallion Liquid Gold Plating Kit

Affiliate Link
(your purchases make finishing.com possible)

2006

Repairing of gold plating on a sink can indeed be repaired using brush electroplating. This process has also been used to replate items such as metal sculptures and even bathtubs in penthouse apartments without the need to remove the item.

Chris Helwig
- Valencia, California
^