Machining and hardening Beryllium ?

(2000)

Finishers,

I'm looking for a firm ( UK )that can hard anodise beryllium. I'm pretty sure that the chemisty of beryllium would support this, though I'm not entirely sure. Even better, I would like a TiN coating, but I'm not sure if that can be done. I also require some basic machining of the part first. ( Yes, I realise that Be is potentially toxic if mishandled ... )

Any ideas ? Many thanks.

Simon Convey
- London UK

(2000)

The anodising process that you should try is called KERONITE. This has been tested very successfully on AlBeMet (an Aluminium/Beryllium alloy) and produced excellent corrosion and wear resistance and very good adhesion too. No risk from Berylliosis due to the aqueous nature of the process.

Robert Altham
- Cambridge UK